One man lived with a nine-inch plastic fork lodged in his stomach for over a decade.
Lee Gardner, 40, from Cudworth in the UK swallowed the fork long ago, but doctors told him the disposable utensil would naturally pass through his system. When he started vomiting blood early one morning, he never even thought of the fork as a possible cause for his predicament.
An ambulance brought Gardner to nearby Barnsley Hospital. The next day doctors looked inside his stomach to search for the root of the problem. When one doctor spotted something particularly unusual, he asked Gardner if he had swallowed anything. After Gardner said no, the doctor asked the question again, adding "I can see prongs of what appears to be a fork."
Gardner remembered accidentally swallowing the fork over 10 years ago when he was playing with it in his mouth, according to the hospital.