A 7-year-old San Benito girl who collapsed outside her school this week died from asphyxiation caused by choking on a balloon lodged in her throat, according to the preliminary autopsy report.
Ruby Ramirez collapsed in front of Sullivan Elementary School Monday afternoon and died Tuesday morning at Valley Baptist Medical Center, officials said.
“Apparently during the autopsy this morning they discovered a party balloon in her airway,” Assistant Police Chief Michael Galvan said Wednesday.
“For whatever reason she must have put (the balloon) in her mouth, as kids do, and when she was running to mama it appears that it may have gone back into her throat, causing her to choke.”
The preliminary autopsy report lists the cause of death as asphyxia due to “internal (blockage) of airway by balloon.”
To read more about this story CLICK HERE.