A 14-year-old honor student from Northridge, Los Angeles, died this week after inhaling computer keyboard cleaner, a growing trend among students as young as eighth grade.
"I'm positive my daughter didn't realize it had the potential to kill her," Carolyn Doherty said.
Aria Doherty, a straight-A student at Nobel Middle School, died Monday. She’d been home alone for a couple of hours when she inhaled the duster.
Her parents believe it was her first time huffing -- also known as bagging or dusting.
Her older sister found Aria in bed with a can of compressed air still attached to her mouth, her nostrils taped shut. A plastic bag was found nearby.
The Dohertys kept no dangerous weapons in their Porter Ranch home, stored prescription drugs under lock and key, and recently purged their home of all alcohol. They talked to their teen daughters about the dangers of substance abuse.
But authorities said the practice of huffing does not involve the typical chemical culprits. Inhaling household cleaners, paint or glue offers a quick high and they’re accessible.
To read more about this story CLICK HERE.