A second boy has died after a group of children were shocked by an electrical current as they swam at a marina in a Tennessee lake.
Grainger County Sheriff Scott Layell said 11-year-old Nate Lynam of Morristown was pronounced dead at 7:35 p.m. Thursday at East Tennessee Children's Hospital, NBC station WBIR reported.
Another boy, Noah Winstead, 10, of Morristown died Wednesday at the German Creek Marina on Cherokee Lake in Bean Station, WBIR reported.
Officials said the two boys and an 8-year-old girl were swimming between two houseboats when they were shocked. The adults and a 12-year-old boy were shocked when they tried to get the three children out of the water. The two children who survived were siblings of the boys who died, officials said.
"At first, everybody thought maybe they were being stung or snake-bitten and everyone began to jump in to attempt to save them," said Layell. "When they hit the water, of course, they became [victims of electric shock] as well and paralyzed for some period of time. So many people coming to the rescue, jumping in, risking their lives, not knowing what they're getting into; that's just pure heroism. That's what true heroes are made of."
The incident was one of two on the Fourth of July involving deaths of children who were shocked while swimming. In Missouri, 13-year-old Alexandra Anderson and her 8-year-old brother, Brayden, were killed when they were shocked around noon by an unknown source of electricity while swimming near a private dock in the Lake of the Ozarks, KSHB-TV reported.
To read more about this story at MSNBC, CLICK HERE.