An Ohio woman is fighting for her life after having her scalp completely ripped from her head after her hair became caught in a machine during a shift at a car parts company.
Monica Thayer, 25, was hospitalized late Monday night after the horrific accident during just her sixth night of work at JR Engineering in Barberton, Ohio. Her scalp was lifted from just above her eyebrows, backwards towards her neck. Writhing in pain, she pleaded with co-workers to cut her loose.
But they could not free her, and it was only when paramedics and firefighters arrived that she was saved from the machine used to cut steel tubing to make automotive shock absorbers.
Barberton Fire Chief Kim Baldwin said: 'It was a pretty serious incident. Industrial accidents have a tendency to be pretty severe and this was no exception."
Her mother Mary, who has worked at the same firm for 25 years, said: 'It caught hold of her hair and just pulled her in. She said she just felt a jerk and it just pulled her."
'It was that serious. It literally tore the entire scalp off her head. I don't think she really realizes the depth of what has happened.
Monica is now in the intensive-care unit at Akron General Medical Center after undergoing surgery early yesterday morning, reports WKYC.com.
Surgeons managed to re-attach about 75% of her scalp, but the remaining 25% is said to be 'too mangled'. Friends said she is expected to undergo more plastic surgery in the future.
The woman's mother said she her daughter went to clear out a machine, when her long brown hair became tangled in the machine. It was hung to mid-back was pulled back for work.
To read more about this story at the Daily Mail, CLICK HERE.