It happened at the Casas Blancas apartment complex on N. Marks Street, just before 6:30 a.m. Sunday. Officials say the fire broke out while a tenant was cooking. The tenant tried to use water to extinguish the flames, but that caused the fire to spread. Flames quickly spread through walls and into three adjoining units. No one was hurt. Five adults and six children were displaced due to damage.
Fresno Fire Battalion Chief Jonathan Chew says, "There was a grease fire and unfortunately they utilized water which caused the fire to grow and one of the neighbors accessed a portable fire extinguisher and thought they had put it out."
Officials say to never use water to put out a grease fire. They say you should always have a fire extinguisher accessible in the kitchen. If there isn't one close by, it's best to use the lid of the pot or pan to smother the flames.