A New York doctor has been cleared of negligence after one of his patients caught fire during a cesarean section delivery.
Kira Reed suffered a seven-inch-long burn on her side two years ago when an alcohol-based antiseptic applied to her skin was accidentally ignited by a medical device.
The fire was put out quickly and her baby was fine, but she sued over the injury, sustained at Crouse Hospital in Syracuse.
The 43-year-old university professor reached an out-of-court settlement with the hospital, but The Post-Standard of Syracuse reports that a jury rejected a negligence claim this week against obstetrician Stephen Brown.
Brown's lawyer says the jury's decision was appropriate.
Surgical fires are rare, but do happen occasionally when hot devices touch disinfectant solutions before the alcohol has a chance to evaporate.
To read more about this story CLICK HERE.