An 11-year-old girl died on Wednesday after trying to find her lost golf ball at a miniature golf course at the Orange Lake Resort, according to the Orange County Sheriff's Office.
Deputies said Ashton Jojo, who was in town on vacation with her family from New York, was playing in the area inside the resort when her golf ball fell into a small pond. When Jojo, trying to retrieve her ball, she screamed out in distress. Witnesses say the girl was electrocuted.
Another resort guest came to the rescue. Deputies said Christopher Burges tried to save Jojo but was hurt in the process and was unsuccessful. Jojo was taken to Celebration Hospital, where she died, deputies said.
The grandmother of one of Jojo's friends spoke exclusively with WESH 2 in Orlando and said the girls asked her to go golfing with them, and she regrets saying no. "I wish to God that I would of gone because I might of made a difference and I'm going to have to live with that."
A sheriff's spokesman said electrocution is one possible cause that they're investigating
To read more about this story at WESH, NBC Orlando, CLICK HERE.