A three-year-old California boy was rushed to the hospital over the weekend after apparently eating marijuana-laced cookies baked by his grandmother.
The family believes the boy got into his grandmother’s stash of chocolate-chip pot cookies, tucked away in a garage refrigerator, one day earlier.
The family called police around 10:30 a.m. the next day when the toddler would not wake up after a long night’s sleep, and they realized he may have eaten the cookies, according to a press release from the Murrieta Police Department.
The boy’s grandmother, who had been diagnosed with cancer, had a doctor’s recommendation for medical marijuana to treat her pain and help her sleep, Sgt. Phil Gomez told The Press-Enterprise newspaper.
The boy’s aunt was babysitting him and his younger sibling Friday while the father was away, Gomez said. When the father returned that afternoon, he noticed crumbs on the garage floor and assumed the child’s grandmother had been into the cookies, the Press-Enterprise reported.
The boy fell asleep around 5 p.m., Gomez said. The family didn’t become concerned until the next morning, however, when they couldn’t wake him up. At that point, Gomez said, the father mentioned noticing the crumbs and decided to call police.
The boy was admitted to a local hospital for observation and later released.
To read the rest of this story at MSNBC, CLICK HERE.