Hand sanitizer ignited by static electricity is being investigated as the potential source of a hospital fire that severely burned an 11-year-old Oregon cancer patient, officials said Tuesday.
No cause has been determined yet for the blaze that sent Ireland Lane screaming into a hallway, her T-shirt ablaze, at Doernbecher Children’s Hospital in Portland on Feb. 2.
But Rich Hoover, a spokesman for the Oregon State Fire Marshal’s office, said that flammable sanitizer and a spark of static electricity could be to blame for the rare incident.
“Those are definitely part of the investigation,” said Hoover, who expected the probe to be complete by Wednesday.
Ireland was diagnosed with kidney cancer in 2007, her father, Stephen Lane, told the Oregonian newspaper. But she was being treated for a head injury after a fall at school. She was transferred to Legacy Oregon Burn Center after the fire, which burned 12 percent of her body, according to her father.
There is much more to this story from NBC News, to read about it CLICK HERE.