It’s enough to make your skin crawl.
A Nebraska man’s apartment has been infested with poisonous spiders,brought indoors in droves by the summer’s relentlessly hot temperatures.
Dylan Baumann said he began finding the brown recluse spiders in his Omaha home four months ago. And they're everywhere, “in the entryway, the bedroom, under the fridge.”
He’s counted 40 spiders so far — but he hasn’t yet been bitten by the venomous arachnid.
Baumann said he contacted his landlord, who has called an exterminator “about five times.”
Dylan Baumann shows just how bad the problem has become.
they are called recluse for a reason – they can fall far back in the walls once you use poison and I’m told they can go for up to nine months without eating.”
“It’s a really big hassle to get rid of them,” he said.
The spider, which is native to the Midwest, has likely seen a boom in its population because of an unseasonably warm winter and hot summer, according to experts.
The brown recluse isn’t aggressive, but it is very toxic — ranking as one of the most dangerous spiders in the U.S.
A bite can cause flu-like symptoms and “the venom of a brown recluse can cause a severe lesion by destroying skin tissue. This skin lesion will require professional medical attention,” according to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention.
Baumann said the situation “isn’t exactly a good one,” but he said it’s not as simple as moving. There are at least 40 brown recluse spiders in his home.
“People say ‘why don’t you move,’ but they could be inside my stuff, inside my couch. I’ll try to go through everything with a fine tooth comb, but you can’t catch everything.”