Police in central Indiana have released a chilling 9-1-1 call in the case of a 4-month-old baby who died Saturday after her father left her roasting in his car during a record-setting heatwave.
Screams of anguish can be heard in the background as Joshua Stryzinski's brother urges a police dispatcher to send paramedics to their parents' Greenfield home.
"My brother's baby is not breathing and we need paramedics here right now!" says the brother, who was not identified.
The little girl, Chloe, was pronounced dead later at a local hospital.
Stryzinski, 18, was charged with neglect of a dependent leading to death. He pleaded not guilty on Monday, and was released from Hancock County Jail on $50,000 bail.
According to the affidavit reviewed by the Indianapolis Star, Stryzinski dropped Chloe's 17-year-old mother at an Arby's restaurant for work on Saturday morning and then brought the tot by a friend's house on the way to see his parents.
He and the friend changed Chloe into a short-sleeve onesie to keep her cool, police said. Temperatures in Indianapolis hit 104 degrees on Saturday, breaking a 76-year-old record for July 7th.
Stryzinski told investigators his friend strapped the tot into her car seat before he and the baby drove away, the Star reported. But when he got to his parents’ home, the young dad forgot Chloe was in the back seat, he told investigators. Stryzinski said he got mixed up and thought he had left the girl with his friend.
"The normal routine is that someone is always watching my kid," he told police, according to the Star.
Investigators said Stryzinski was at the house for a few hours, chatting with his brother and parents, who were getting ready for vacation, before he got back in his Saturn to pick up Chloe's mother from work.
He screamed when he realized his little girl was locked inside, and ran back to the house holding her in her car seat, according to the affidavit.
An autopsy showed Chloe suffered third degree burns -- presumably scorched by the surface of the car seat, which cops said reached 119 degrees.
To read the rest of this story at the New York Daily News, CLICK HERE.