A gruesome scene unfolded at a local Illinois supermarket when authorities were called in to rescue a man who got his arm stuck in a meat grinder.
When members of the Orland Park Fire Department arrived at the scene of the grisly accident, they were shocked to discover a middle-aged store employee with more than half his arm caught in the machine.
According to Schofield, the man's was caught so deeply in the gears of the machine that first responders were unable to remove his arm even after dismantling some of the device.
They were hesitant to take apart the entire machine any more for fear of taking off part of his arm.
While the victim was clearly in immense pain, Schofield explained that there wasn't very much blood at the scene, because the grinder apparently cut of much of the circulation in his arm.
"There wasn't a lot of blood because his hand was so tight in the meat grinder it almost acted like a tourniquet," Schofield said.
Realizing that not much more could be done at the supermarket, paramedics took the man to the hospital with part of the device still attached to his arm.
Once there, they decided the only way to extricate the man's arms from the grinder was by using what Schofield described as a miniature version of the Jaws of Life, the same tool firefighters use to shear through car doors and other metal objects.
To read more about this story CLICK HERE.