An Oregon teen is being hailed a hero after he rescued an 8-year-old boy from a fire that broke out in his home Monday, KATU.com reported.
Marcos Ugarte, 14, used a ladder to climb to a second-floor window of the burning Troutdale, Oregon home where a family of five lived. Alex Ma had tried unsuccessfully to get upstairs to rescue his son, Cody, 8, but he couldn't reach him through the thick smoke, ABC News reported.
Cody's parents, his grandmother Yim and brother Nathan had made it out safely, but Cody had locked himself in the room, the report said.
"When I arrived at the door of our neighbor's house, he [Alex Ma] was stumbling down the stairs because he had been completely engulfed in flames," Marcos' father, Eduardo Ugarte, told KATU. "He had soot coming out of his nose and his mouth, he had just ingested so much of it."
Marcos grabbed a ladder and climbed to the second floor, punching out the screen and grabbing the boy, according to KATU.
There's much more to this story from NBC News, to read about it CLICK HERE.