A 23-year-old blogger is disgusted after finding black mold on a Kotex tampon — and she says the company's reaction is unacceptable.
After discovering the tainted tampon, Danielle Parr, a stay-at-home mom in Saginaw, Tex., reached out to Kotex and she posted their response on her blog:
“We understand how distressing it can be to find mold on a product that is used for personal hygiene and apologize for your concern,” reads the alleged message from Kimberly-Clark, the makers of Kotex tampons.
“In instances where it has been found, we conducted tests on the product involved and have found the mold to be a common environmental species that carries no health risk,” the message continues. “The vegetative mold is similar in nature to mold on vegetables or in baked goods.”
The customer service representative who sent the email, Betty, added that Kotex would be sending coupons to her in the mail.
Apparently dissatisfied, Parr posted an update to her original post, addressing Kotex’s response.
“Yeah that's real reassuring. I was grossed out in the first place and their response just makes it worse! Seems this is a fairly common problem . . . and that is cause for serious concern.”
Parr, who she bougjt the box of tampons just a few weeks earlier, added that she would never buy Kotex products again. Her blog post has been viewed more than 300,000 times, and readers' comments suggest they share her sentiment.
“Oh yuck!!! I would have expected more of an apology from their letter,” wrote one commenter. “I would be thoroughly disgusted. When you buy a box of new tampons, you expect them to be clean . . . end of story.”
Parr said she received a second apology from Kimberly-Clark on Tuesday night, asking that she send the tampon to them for testing.
Parr gave it to a local news station instead to independently test instead.
According to a spokesperson for Kimberly-Clark, the company is devoted to consumer safety and is investigating the product with an independent testing facility.
“Any discoloration or abnormality with our tampons is extremely rare, and we believe this is an isolated incident,” said spokesman Bob “We have reached out to the consumer and have apologized.”
To read more about this story, CLICK HERE.